Your bedroom is where you start your day and where you finish your day. Optimize your bedroom to keep your good habits alive. Here are some tips:
Before you go to sleep
- Prepare anything you need for the next morning, like your yoga mat, running clothes, or breakfast.
- Finish your journal, take a minute to write down 3 things you appreciated today.
- Take some time to write down the things you want to do for tomorrow.
- Release anxious feelings by writing any thoughts or nagging concerns in a journal.
- Don’t eat anything for the last 2 hours before you go to sleep.
- Limit or completely avoid the use of stimulants — especially later in the day (coffee, nicotine, sugars, and certain medications)
- Avoid blue-light exposure from tv, tablets or your phone.
- Charge your phone far enough from your bed, so that you have to get up to stop the alarm.
- Put your phone on flight mode. If you want to be available for emergency calls, you can try to set your phone on ‘Do not disturb’ mode. If someone calls you 3 times, the ‘do not disturb’ mode will be disabled(Try this first).
- Keep your bedroom cool.
When you wake up
- Don’t snooze your alarm. Get out of your bed and turn your alarm off.
- Drink a glass of water.
- Open a window in your bedroom.
- Open your bedsheets.
- Sit down and write down the things you would like to accomplish today.
- Make your bed, and clean up your clothes.
- Start with an active exercise; yoga, running, or breathe work.
General bedroom tips:
- Use your bedroom only for sleeping. Condition yourself to sleep once you are in your bedroom. Use another room to watch television, read a book or study.
- Position your bed so it’s facing east (See the video at the bottom)
- Invest in a good mattress.
- Sleep on a pillow that is not too big. If you lay down on your side, your back spine should be in a straight line.
- When there is some light in your bedroom during the day, put some plants in your bedroom. A good plant is the Sansevieria since it produces oxygen during the night.